We had around 3 months notice to move around the world. Our time was spent doing endless amounts of paperwork, getting medical exams and making sure our interests in the states were taken care of. I was faced with a choice, leave Mud Pony where he was or move him to a stable closer to my family where hopefully my sister could take care of him on my behalf. I ultimately went with the second option.
I shipped Mud Pony home to the stable where I had learned to ride. We went home for our farewell tour, a month of spending time with friends and family, and making sure my Mud Pony was settled in. It was suggested then by my trainer about a potential Lease. We only had a few more days left stateside and I wasn’t going to rush such an important decision. So I declined.
However, things have changed. My sister is now in the midst of several big life changes. She’s expecting her second child and moving to a new house further away from the barn. She has little time or energy for getting to the barn. So I revisited the lease idea.
As Fate would have it, my trainer got in touch with me about potentially leasing Mud Pony.
Mud Pony is my first horse, my only horse, and I want to do what’s right by him. I do want him to be in training, and indeed if I could afford it I would have him in training. Not so much for any lofty riding goals, but so that he can get exercise, get handled, and learn new things. He will get these things through this lease, half-lease actually, and in that way I’m happy and excited for it.
On the other hand part of me is hesitant. I would hate for any bad things to happen to him. He will be on farm and I trust my trainer and her judgement, but still I worry. I really don’t have much experience leasing. I half-leased a horse once for a few months one summer with my sister, but that’s it.